french
The Remains of Fort Phoenix
Fort Phoenix, whose walls were hewn and earth, was near New Bedford in an inlet on Buzzard's Bay. It's armament consisted of an 8 to 10 gun battery. A small British force intent on taking it in 1814 was reputedly frightened off when it mistook the sound of a postman's bicycle horn for a trumpet sounding a charge.
Index

previouscontinue